Icraig Slimbook? How do I get this thing running again

CraigPleaseHelp

Sep 16, 2024
Yo! I'll cut to the chase;

ICraig 9 inch slimbook, Model clp291. FCC ID: 2ABWOCLP290

Figured that might help in my little plight, y'know? Anyways, the thing works fine and dandy-the only problem? It ain't supported by google or android or something so it's just outright STUCK in 2015[Since it was manufactured then] with its old updates-Can't download anything on it, can't do anything on it-Hell, the thing's practically a demo to look at in a Walmart, y'know? I was just wondering if there was something I could install via a USB maybe or some kinda hack for it that I can upload to get it up to speed[legally or illegally] so it can actually be useful with Android, this like, OWL update it keeps talking about[I've tried to update it, it just fails to connect, despite having internet] or Windows?? I don't know, you put a rod in my hand and I catch you a catfish in Miami, but you give me this thing and I only know that I can count to 9 on it and show my daughter the alphabet. I'll give any info I can-this damn thing's just a cutie and I feel like if I really put some love into it or elbow grease we can get this thing runnin' like new.

Best regards, Blake.

The only way to update it would be a custom ROM, but unless you build it yourself there aren't any. Best thing to do is to recycle the tablet, for two reasons.

1. Google no longer allows account activations on old versions of Android.

2. The hardware is too old to work with modern apps. At best you have maybe a dual-core CPU and 2GB of RAM. Modern Android doesn't comfortably run on that.

The only way to update it would be a custom ROM, but unless you build it yourself there aren't any. Best thing to do is to recycle the tablet, for two reasons.

1. Google no longer allows account activations on old versions of Android.

2. The hardware is too old to work with modern apps. At best you have maybe a dual-core CPU and 2GB of RAM. Modern Android doesn't comfortably run on that.
Tch, shucks, ain't that a shame. If I had to do anything on this thing, it'd just be for keepin' notes I figured, I had some time to think and I also came to that conclusion of nothin' being able to run on this damn thing. Alright, fair is fair. I'm either gonna recycle this thing like you said or maybe find some way to just be able to pull it out, write some notes when I'm out traveling[I use a flip phone so, you can tell where I stand with all this tech buzz haha].

If you got any help or ideas for that second option, I'd appreciate it! I looked around on it for a bit and the only kinda 'typing' I could find on it was typing in the search bar, hah.

You do not need to have a Google account to be able to download apps. The trick is in finding a version of a notepad-style app that will run on such an ancient version of Android.

You do not need to have a Google account to be able to download apps. The trick is in finding a version of a notepad-style app that will run on such an ancient version of Android.
See that's the problem! I go on the little ICraig thing, I figured to download something, anything, but I only see a few apps-and downloading them does nothing-just cancels it and moves on. I got my google account fine and dandy on it actually, the problem is just doin' anything on the little thing-No app downloads, looking things up works until you click a link-and I got internet on it, I actually removed it and reapplied it and made sure it was all hunky dory before I tried again-it's the strangest thing

Get this, I looked up how to work with these things, got my daughter to help a little, and we watched a few videos together and saw if I go to like, 'about table' and hit something to update it-it should work, and I saw it-that's why I've been mentioning something called OWL, right? That's the thing it was tryna update-there's an Online and a Local, no clue how to work the local, but they said the Online is just being connected to the internet, full battery, and just clicking the button-after about thirty seconds to a minute-nothing! It says something like it aint working or just goes back to the 'Owl' update screen.

I get what'cha putting down!

Sounds like a plan then, friend! I'll get to work on this stuff while I can, and I'll provide those pics-this ain't exactly top of the priority list, is all-when I can. I thank you graciously again for indulging!

Hey there, buddy! Just wanted to thank ya, After grabbing the playstore APK[Android somethin' Kit, I forget, but it was cool to learn a majority of the meaning!] I was able to download one writers plus which was exactly what I needed! Can go out on my trips and just type what I see for my wife, she loves nature. My daughter also thanks you, said it was hell tryna get me to understand this crap, but you put it in a way I got it down pat. I don't think the Owl stuff ain't needed, probably just somethin unimportant. I got all I needed, but I'll keep my little account running in case I gotta bug you folks again.

Back